On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:10:57 +1000
Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Look at the sample procmailrc I have stored at:
>
> http://thor.prohosting.com/~kilgoret/files/procmailrc

ok, so I've got this ~/.procmailrc:

## SHELL=/bin/sh

# Directory for storing procmail configuration and log files
# You can name this environment variable anything you like
# (for example PROCMAILDIR) or, if you prefer, don't set it
# (but then don't refer to it!)
PMDIR=~/procmail

# LOGFILE should be specified ASAP so everything below it is logged
# Put ## before LOGFILE if you want no logging (not recommended)
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/pmlog

# To insert a blank line between each message's log entry,
# uncomment next two lines (this is helpful for debugging)
LOG="
"

# Set to yes when debugging; default is no
## VERBOSE=yes

# Replace $HOME/Msgs with your mailbox directory
# Mutt and elm use $HOME/Mail
# Pine uses $HOME/mail
# Netscape Messenger uses $HOME/nsmail
# Some NNTP clients, such as slrn & nn, use $HOME/News
# Mailboxes in maildir format are often put in $HOME/Maildir
#
# IMPORTANT: Upon reading an instruction that contains MAILDIR=,
#            Procmail does a chdir to $MAILDIR and
#            relative paths are relative to $MAILDIR
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail       # Make sure this directory exists!

INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/nkvir-rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/kuhn-rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/slooten-rc

where kuhn-rc is:

# It is reliably reported that this single test may kill half your
# spam in one shot:
:0
* !^Message-Id
{
        :0
        /dev/null
}

and slooten-rc is:

:0
* ^From:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
! [EMAIL PROTECTED]
{
        :0
        /dev/null
}

what I was never clear on is the MAILDIR. Is that to tell procmail where
to look at new mail to process it? I've obviously assumed so, from what
I've put there...but then in the nkvir-rc, it refers to MAILDIR  being
~/mail. Should I have two entries in there?

BTW, why does that kuhn-rc "kill half your spam in one shot"?

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046
A man said to the Universe:
        "Sir, I exist!"
        "However," replied the Universe,
        "the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
                -- Stephen Crane