September 16, 2003 01:13 pm, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 08:31, Charlie M. wrote:
> > [...snip]
> > Lot's of ways Bill. But:
> >
> > 1.) Just Ctrl+Alt+F1 and look at the kernel version there;
>
> very funny.
> I tried it, thinking I'd see some kind of help file or info, but it
> immediately went to a black screen with just a couple of lines of
> text at the top. This wasn't just a text window, it was the full
> screen.
>
> How was I supposed to get back to where I was?
> Quit, exit, q, CTRL-C etc, nothing seemed to work. ALT-TAB didn't
> work, it only put some ] and ^ symbols on the line.
> And then the CTRL-ALT-DEL [I thought it would bring up a log in
> screen, like before] rebooted the computer without any warning or any
> chance to stop it.
> So I lost an 8M download, which [of course] was about 90% done...
>
> --
> Merlin Zener
> Piano, Synthesizer
> Thailand.

It wasn't intended to be funny, nor was it intended to make your life
miserable. You have my sincere apology.

I should have said "Ctrl+Alt+F(1-6)" but most people would have used F1
anyway. Those "couple of lines of text on a totally black screen" are
what was important.

I should also have mentioned that you return to your desktop by
Ctrl+Alt+F7.

Those lines of text; on mine this is what shows up there:

Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (Cooker) for i586
Kernel 2.4.22-9mdk on an i686
h24-66-233-146 login: (flashing cursor, in other words a command
*prompt*)

Which illustrates that the requested information was there.

Sorry for your inconvenience. I'll be sure I don't cause you any more
trouble.

By not answering any more questions.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-9mdk
14:29:45 up 1 day, 1:55, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.22, 0.25
1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight -- it's not just a good idea, it's
the law!