If you are using the 6.0 version of Linux-Mandrake off the CD, you
will want to go to one of the ftp mirrors listed on the Mandrake
site, and in the download folder, get the kernel version 2.2.9-27mdk
RPM file. Use either the rpm command or the graphical RPM icon on the
KDE desktop to install the updated kernel, then edit the
/etc/lilo.conf file with a text editor to use the updated kernel. It
fixes some issues with the shutdown procedures.

If you already have the updated kernel, then the message you are
getting is not an error, it is a good thing, because it means that
the system is checking the condition of your filesystem for you. You
want this to happen every now and then. If fsck finds any problems,
it will repair most of them, without any intervention from you. If it
can not do a needed repair, it will tell you so, at which point you
should remount the filesystem in read only mode (read the man page
for instructions), and run fsck from a command line to do the needed
repair.

When the forced check is finished, it will tell you "% files are non
contigious", but then the next time you boot Linux, the check will
report that /dev/hd# is clean, indicating that fsck did indeed
defragment the filesystem for you. So be patient when this message
comes up. It is a good safety measure, and was set up for you when
you installed Linux-Mandrake. To me, this is just another example of
the care and interest in stability we get from the good people at
Mandrakesoft. You do not get this kind of pre configured maintenance
with Windoze. They give you tools of sorts, but you have to find them
on your own, and remember to use them, or set up still another app to
run them for you on a scheduled basis, and then it is when the OS is
all up and running. I think this solution is more elegent.

Well, I'll get off the soapbox now <red cheeks>,

Ernie