As expected, the EP voted for the proposal with a huge majority.

But just to calm you down a bit :

Those of you who live in democratic and free countries may think
that it's a real parliament. It certainly is not. The members
are not elected, they are appointed by national political
parties. The real power lies at the Commission. One of the
commissars recently called the EP a "Mickey Mouse Parliament" -
very appropriate.

Most of the members are retired politicians, more or less
involuntarily expelled from their home countries to a place
where they can do little or no harm. Some because they are even
too corrupted for national use, the rest because they are
outright crooks or mediocre clowns.

What does this "parliament" have do deal with ?

For example : the correct slope of cucumbers ! (no kidding).

To the extent that the populations are allowed to have a say,
they don't give a rats ass about the European Union and it's
"parliament". Here in Scandinavia, Norway stays out of the whole
mob completely, Sweden just had a referendum on the European
currency and rejected it with a large majority as did Denmark a
few years ago. Furthermore, Denmark has a lot of reservations
and do not participate in military, police, immigration and
Union-citizenship. Next year we are going to have another
referendum, and chances are we will leave this "Union"
alltogether.

And my guess is :  software patents will suffer the same destiny
as skewed cucumbers.

Regards

Kaj Haulrich
The European Union (retired).