On Saturday 27 Sep 2003 3:54 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Dennis Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On the CDROM, do you have it set as master or slave? Make sure the
> > jumper is in position for whichever you choose.  Put the Primary
> > master as hard drive and on the end connector of the cable, the
> > slave on primary master should be on the mid connector. I think
> > that the best way to connect is to have the HDs on Primary
> > (master and slave)  and the CDROM and CDRW on secondary master
> > and slave. Others may prefer a different arrangement. I have run
> > into the problem with the hard drive as you have and the only way
> > I could get the harddrive recognized was to reformat. I first
> > erased it with "DiskEraser" and then did a clean install. HTH --
>
> I have the 20Gb HD now set to primary master (on ribbon and jumper
> settings) and the cdrom set to secondary master.  Still no change.
> Also, is there a difference in IDE cables?  I notice the ribbon for
> the hd that came with the new system is slimmer than the ones I
> have in the old system.  Would that have an effect?  In other
> words, if I'm trying to use an older ribbon on the newer system,
> will that keep the old stuff from operating properly?  Could the
> newer motherboard and power supply short out the old HD and cdrom?

Not sure what you mean by slimmer, but newer drives often come with an
80-wire cable, not a 40-wire one.  If your mobo is recent it will
have at least the primary connector set up to receive that cable -
there are, I understand, thinner pins on the new connector, so old
style cables may not be making proper contact.  HTH

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302