Sending again, with KMail set up right

On Saturday 27 Sep 2003 2:00 am, Aron Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 19:13, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I've tried the swap and, when the 256 chip is in the first position, I
> > get nothing; absolutely nothing.  No boot up, nothing.  The power comes
> > on, but nothing happens.  When I leave just the 256 chip in by itself, I
> > get a really long beep and, again, nothing.
>
> your 256 chip is kaput.

I agree. A long beep is the BIOS Power-On Self-Test (POST) telling you that
 it has no memory. The various beep signals change by manufacturer, but this
 one seems familiar. The BIOS website should have a list of beep codes if you
 are really interested.

<rant>Note to everyone who handles chips of whatever type. If you damage a
chip by static electricity it doesn't fail now, it fails in about two weeks
time. Which in the case of a reseller, is probably when the new owner tries
to use it, and in any case is long after you remember carrying it across the
nylon carpet while wearing a nylon shirt and stroking the cat.</rant>

Your disk problems: check the master and slave jumpers and the cable
positions. This is the recognised "best" way of doing things:

Primary IDE-------Slave HD------Master HD
Secondary IDE------Slave CD------Master CD

You may want to do it this way:

Primary IDE-------empty------Master HD
Secondary IDE------Slave HD------Master CD

Which will (IIUC) give you faster HD speeds if you are not accessing the CD,
but adding another CD (eg a DVD or writer) would mean swapping the HD back
(and thereby changing the mount point,) or making disk accesses slower.

The 80 conductor cables are more sensitive to the order of devices than the
old 40 conductor cables were. The long end must plug into the mainboard. The
master must be on the other end.

Check the orientation of the cable, just because it has a key it doesn't mean
you can't plug it in the wrong way. I've certainly done it frequently. Check
all the plugs are secure after you finish. You may have pulled one plug
partially out in your attempts to get the next into its socket.

I always like to ensure that each drive is powered from a different set of
cables from the power supply; I avoid the daisy-chained plugs if at all
possible. Otherwise any noise or voltage drops created by one drive will be
seen by the other.

Some drives have different jumper settings for master-with-slave and
master-without-slave.

Test everything before you put the case back together. Murphy's law ensures
that it is more likely to go wrong when you have screwed it together and put
it back in its corner befoer checking that it works. (I'm only half joking
here.)

HTH
--
Richard Urwin