On Saturday 27 Sep 2003 1:13 am, Lance Cummings wrote:

> y> Bad idea, If your computer connected to the Internet. Even though, the
> number y> of viruses/trojans for LINUX is miniscule it not 0. Given all
> user root y> rights will increase chance for getting your box compromise.
>
> Along that line . . . what are some of the Internet "gotchas"
> regarding Linux?  With Windows of course there are a multitude of
> file types that by merely being opened can allow an attacker into the
> system, and anyone running without a well-tuned firewall and good
> real-time virus protection is really begging to get compromised. That
> said, I'm up virtually 24x7 on 100 MB/sec glass, and I've never been
> compromised yet, which I think says at least something about the care
> and attention that I devote to this (not that you have to devote
> *that* much attention to it; just not being incredibly naive avoids a
> lot of trouble). But I have little idea what to be wary about in
> terms of Linux -- so with respect to this OS I would at least be more
> naive than I would be in Windows. I suspect I'm operating a ton of
> services I don't need right now in Linux, and in the Windows world
> that's one sure invitation to trouble right there. Any hints on what
> makes the suspicion meter go into the red zone appreciated.

There are very few gotchas. But here are a few things to consider

1/ Do not run as root- If you do then just visiting a web site with a browser
which has an exploit could cause arbitary code to execute as root. Not very
likely, but technically possible.

2/ Do not use weak root or user passwords. There are utilities which will
guess a weak password quite quickly. Also make sure you are running at a
security level high enough to report unsuccessful logins  (I think 'standard'
security is OK)

3/ Make sure you enter an email address in the Mandrake control Centre
Security window. That way you will be alerted to security attacks.

4/ Install the chkrootkit RPM which will examine your system daily to see if
you have been compromised. It does not need any set up. Its reports will come
in your daily Mandrake security report.

5/ Read about how msec (Mandrake Secure) works at
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/

6/ Do your Mandrake Security updates regularly, either by the GUI, or from an
automated cron job
The command
urpmi.update updates && urpmi --update --auto-select
will do the updates for you.
(That assumes you have defined a urpmi update source called updates)

Note:Now you are running Mdk 9.2RC2 you **must** delete your current 9.1 urpmi
sources and add 9.2 sources.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net