On Sunday 28 Sep 2003 6:20 am, Lance Cummings wrote:
SNIP

> > 6/ Do your Mandrake Security updates regularly, either by the GUI,
> > or from an automated cron job
> > The command
> > urpmi.update updates && urpmi --update --auto-select
> > will do the updates for you.
> > (That assumes you have defined a urpmi update source called
> > updates)
>
> Oh-oh.  Unknown thing.  Danger, Will Robinson!  (I have defined no
> such thing, and would be unlikely to do so until I figure out how to
> do it.)  <lol>

At the end of the install process you were asked if you want to install
updates. If you said Yes an update source will have been picked. If 'No' then
you need to define a source.
Best way to do that is go here and follow the instructions
http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php

You can then use the Menu>Configuration>Packaging>Mandrake Update GUI to do
your updates for youi. The GUI allows you to browse the available updates,
read why they were issued, and to refuse them if you wish.
There are a *lot* of updates for 9.1 There are already a few updates for 9.2
(The online tool does not yet allow you to select a 9.2 update source, but if
you select a 9.1 source and then edit the line to say 9.2, then it will work)

Generally as soon as a security flaw is found in a package in the main distro,
there will be an update out for it within 24 hours.
If you are a MandrakeClub member you get emailed to remind you to upgrade.

> > Note:Now you are running Mdk 9.2RC2 you **must** delete your
> > current 9.1 urpmi sources and add 9.2 sources.
>
> Oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh.  A **must** that I have no idea how to
> accomplish.  I am in deep kimchi now, I suspect.

The reason for the **must** is that different Linux releases are built using
different versions of the core libraries. If you mix software sources from
different releases you will confuse the system as to what libraries to
install. You will either end up installing 100's of MB of software, or else
totally fsck up your system. We get newbies all the time who install Cooker
apps in 9.1 systems and then run into problems. So the bottom line is.
If you run 9.1 only have software sources defined for 9.1. If you run 9.2,
then only have sources defined for 9.2
The link above tells you how to add sources. To delete a source use the
software source GUI in Mandrake Control Centre.

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net