dlwiggers wrote:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:25:08 +0000
Richard Urwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sunday 28 Sep 2003 6:25 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

What does the GPL say about the following?

"Next ISOs of Mandrake 9.2 Download Edition will be available
for Club Members and all people who have contributed to the new
version(including developers and translators), prior to retail
packs and public download release."

Is this in conformance with the GPL? Does the GPL favor any
select group or does it prohibit discrimination and
restrictions?

The GPL does not force anyone to distribute anything. I can write a GPL program today and leave it on a floppy disk, undistributed, or give it only to my grandma. Your next door neighbour cannot come round and demand that you give him a copy of a GPL program that you happen to have. The GPL only specifies what must happen if and when you distribute. So my grandma could demand the source code, and could post it on her website for the world to download.

If you know someone in the Mandrake Club who has downloaded 9.2,
then you can ask them for a copy, and if they're nice they can
burn you one. Mandrake can't stop them doing that. I hope your
friend suggests that you join the club instead, though.

--
Richard Urwin

I'm assuming the original question was rhetorical? If not, I'm impressed.

Lee

My question was not rhetorical at all. Although wrongdoing was improbable I found it necessary to ask the question. From the answers that followed I found that my understanding of the issues was not complete.

Thanx,

Ayoub890