Or bad disk.I've had two disks breaking up recently, behaviour is always _very_ strange.
You could check partitions with

# e2fschk -f -c /dev/hda?

-f forces the check
-c performs bad block scan (I've never done this, don't know how long it takes)
Substitute hda? with the name of your partitions.

You need to be root and the partitions must not be mounted. The easiest way to do that is to boot from the mandrake CD1 and type F1-rescue.

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Terence J. Golightly wrote:

Are you sure no one else had access to the machine while you were away?

No just me. The machine has only one account on it.

Did you load any new software on the machine before going away and
shutting it down that may have been compromised?

No not recently.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry,

It really sounds like bad RAM. Have you another stick to test with?