I think e2fschk is a front end that invokes the correct fsck.* program. If you type man fsck.ext3 you are shown the e2fschk man page.

On my MDK9.1 there is no fsck.reiserfs command, only fsck.ext3. Could it be an alias?

The command should output something. In my case the output is (hda1 is an ext3 partition):

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tmp]# e2fsck -f /dev/hda1
e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information
/dev/hda1: 3914/895840 files (1.1% non-contiguous), 1553092/1791239 blocks

raffaele