On Tuesday 30 September 2003 04:28 am, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 03:02 pm, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > One of those jobs tidies up your log files.
> > Do not be surprised if your computer goes crazy with disc accesses after
> > you install anacron. You have a *lot* of log files to tidy :-)
> > derek
> >
> > (I think thats the third time I have posted that advice this week)
>
> Thanks a lot Derek,
> If I'm not mistaken, anacron is the scheduler, not the actual cleaner of
> log files. I understand that logrotate is the one who does that?
> I've looked into /etc/logrotate.d/ and /etc/logrotate.conf but I can't
> understand how to configure it. Pls help.
> Thanks.

You merely need to add an entry for the specific log file that you want
rotated to the /etc/logrotate.d directory.

Tell us which apps currently have log files that are not being rotated and we
can help you edit the entries necessary to add them to the rotation schedule.
Essentially, we need to know if the app is being run in memory all the time
as a daemon or is inactive unless being used, like rpm.  If you tell me which
kind, I can give you a sample logrotate file to add for that application.

On my system, I had to add entries for antivir, procmail, privoxy, pure-ftpd,
among others.

One last thing.  If the log file is large in size already, you need to
manually archive and swap it out.  Once you go past a certain time period,
logrotate won't automatically pick it up.  I think that the standard rotation
period is a week.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer