I have big directories containing files with english and italian or french filenames. Non-english filenames sometimes contain marked letters, which are not managed well by samba or by the ISO fs.

One example of marked letter is the second 'a' in "foglio-attivitą.doc".

Is there a way to identify filenames containing such marked letters, and maybe convert them to english letters? I tried with a simple perl script, but it doesn't work well:

#!/usr/bin/perl

while (<>) {
print if !(/\p{IsASCII}/i); # no go, it does not report all the files
}

thanks,

raffaele