"We've all heard it many times when a new Microsoft virus comes out. In
fact, I've heard it a couple of times this week already. Someone on a
mailing list or discussion forum complains about the latest in a long
line of Microsoft email viruses or worms and recommends others consider
Mac OS X or Linux as a somewhat safer computing platform. In response,
another person named, oh, let's call him "Bill," says, basically, "How
ridiculous! The only reason Microsoft software is the target of so many
viruses is because it is so widely used! Why, if Linux or Mac OS X was
as popular as Windows, there would be just as many viruses written for
those platforms!"

Of course, it's not just "regular folks" on mailing lists who share this
opinion. Businesspeople have expressed similar attitudes ... including
ones who work for anti-virus companies. Jack Clarke, European product
manager at McAfee, said, "So we will be seeing more Linux viruses as the
OS becomes more common and popular."

Mr. Clarke is wrong."

Source:

http://securityfocus.com/columnists/188