<cut>

including
>ones who work for anti-virus companies. Jack Clarke, European
product
>manager at McAfee, said, "So we will be seeing more Linux
viruses as the
>OS becomes more common and popular."
>
>Mr. Clarke is wrong."
>
>Source:
>
>http://securityfocus.com/columnists/188
>
>--

i'll offer a slightly different take... i believe we will in time
see more efforts at virii for linux/os x/<name your fav new os>
as they become more popular simply because there are those who
enjoy seeing what holes they can find or simply enjoy destroying
for destruction's sake.  but i believe it will simply be more
effort - not more successful virii, especially as long as
updating is as (usually) painless as it is now.  linux will
eventually have it's own crises to deal with as new areas are
discovered and explored.  some may well bring linux downa notch
or two, but this community has the benefit of open communication
and remarkably fast response; any attack should be a short blip
on the radar before it fades and we all move on.