On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 07:40:08PM -0400, yankl wrote:
> I know I start another flame war on the list but:
> Am I the only conservative republican on the list?
> Could some one explain to me why so many people in tech are liberal democrats?
> You know once on the radio I heard some one say that since he is not lazy and
> not stupid he must be a conservative. No one, I suspect lazy or stupid on
> that list, so why that love for communists ideas?

Well, free software is basically a liberal idea. I mean
liberal in the European sense, not the US sense where it has typically
come to refer to someone who is against individual responsibility, wants
all rapists and murderers to go free, and wants to eliminate God and
Jesus from the lexicon (this at least as the far-right would define
"liberal"). In the European sense I think it has to do with
freedom--free markets (thus the hatred for the evil empire), freedom to
do what we want with the hardware and software we purchase, freedom by
allowing anyone who wants to participate.

I'd like to separate forever the words "liberal democrat" and
"conservative republican". The democrats have given liberalism a dirty
name and whored themselves out and refuse to defend liberalism, trading
the possibility of electoral victory for the principles of liberalism.
And, I know many a fine republican who I feel are harmed by the label
conservative, though it doesn't have quite the damning sense of
"liberal". As George H. Bush said of Dukakis with utter disgust--"That
guy's a *liberal*! A card-carrying member of the ACLU!"

Please, I say this not to incite discussion, I'm just making a
statement.