Margot wrote:

Aaron West wrote:

Hey gang,

I'm new to this list and wanted to ask a few questions.
I'm planning on trashing my Windows2000 machine in favor of a dual boot Windows2000 / Mandrake 9.1 system. My idea is
to have the Linux box become my main desktop system. The current hard drive I use with Windows is a bit small at 15GB. I am in the market for a higher capacity drive - anything from 80GB up - and wanted to get some advice before I buy anything. Are there any drives I should stay away from or is just getting any IDE drive (like a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 7200rpm IDE) going to work. I'd like to get the new hard drive in, install 9.1 on it, and then hook up my current 15GB drive as a slave for possibly holding all my music data.

This sound fine? Also, is there a list of supported peripherals for 9.1 anywhere? I'd like to check my current
system setup (network card, router, video card, sound card)
etc.. to make sure they are supported.

Thanks all,

--- | Aaron West | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.trajiklyhip.com

Hi Aaron,

Greg has already directed you to the TWiki pages for the hardware. As for software, as you haven't already installed 9.1 I suggest you wait a couple of weeks and get 9.2 instead - best to have the most recent version available.

Good luck!

Margot

FRANKI:

Also, I would add that for the hard drive, as long as you avoid Western Digital drives, you should be fine with any of them, in fact many people use WD drives here with no issues, but better safe then sorry.
Maxtor are probably the best drives around nowdays, so they should be a good choice.

rgds

Franki