I'd look into ftp. Do you have a ftp server on your desktop? That's been
the easiest way for me.

If you can get all of the files you want into a single directory on the
laptop, you might be able to log on with the -i option and do a simple
mput * once you're in the proper directory on the laptop(and then come
back and check it in the morning).

Samba might be quicker once you get it configured, but it'll most likely
be much easier to get ftp running.