Heather/Femme wrote:

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:03:11 -0600
Jerry Barton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

popups weren't the problem it was the other ads.

Use /etc/hosts (like the windows "HOSTS" file.

HTH

Jerry.

pls be more specific. your answer is (atm) very unhelpful.

rtfm/point by point step by step instructions/google Me...whatever...

but your answer doesn't do me any good as it stands. sorry... :)

The Lone Stoned Rangeress Rides Again!

I think what Jerry means is to add the names of common sources of adverts to you /etc/hosts file, something like this:

127.0.0.1    localhost
127.0.0.1    ad10.vonna.com
127.0.0.1    ad100.erasercash.com
127.0.0.1    ad100.paycount.com
127.0.0.1    ad100.vonna.com
127.0.0.1    ad101.erasercash.com
127.0.0.1    ad101.paycount.com
[lots more to follow]

This prevent the ads from loading, because your computer thinks they come from itself (localhost).

Someone recently posted a link to a list of addresses. Just paste them into /etc/hosts under the stuff that's already there.

The only problem with this method is that it can sometimes disable useful buttons in some commercial sites which rely on external sources for their graphics. I've only encountered this a few times, though.

Sir Robin

--
"I can say: 'Thank these bees for their honey as though they were kind people who have
prepared it for you'; that is intelligible and describes how I should like you to conduct

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533