On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 17:14, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Monday 13 Oct 2003 6:10 pm, Thinker wrote:
> > Could someone please point me in the right direction on how to accomplish
> > this?
> >
> >  As I said, I finally got my old hard drive with mandrake 9.0 in a new
> > machine and back on the network. Now, I need to take most of the files in
> > my home directory (including /evolution ) and move them to my Win2k Machine
> > for archiving and to my SuSE 8.2 Machine for use.
> >
> > Someone on the SuSE list suggested that I "start NFS on the Mandrake box
> > and export the directory to the SuSE box. Then start Samba on the
> > Mandrake box and export the same directory to the Windows machine."
> >
> > I am not too familiar with NFS and exporting directories. How does this
> > work?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > -=Thinker
>
> I could tell you how to get NFS working, but I would have to stretch my memory
> to do it and NFS sucks so bad I will tell you a better way.
>
> On your Suse machine install and start ssh server.

OK. Got that.

> Then on your Mandrake machine open a konqueror window and enter in the url
> line
> fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I did this and got an error on the mandrake box.
"Protocol not supported  fish"

I am using Mandrake 9.0 / KDE (konqueror 3.0.5a

I went to the mandrake control center and looked for kio-fish or fish to
install but I did not find anything. I googled and found your info on
your site, but I was not able to access the server you linked to, and
the other links from google had similar results. How do I go about
getting kio-fish for my mandrake box?

> You will then see the file system of the Suse machine displayed in konqueror,
> and you can just frag and drop files into it..
>
> You could probably do it from Suse to Mandrake too. I just do not know if Suse
> include the kio_fish plugin for konqueror.

I tried this (going from SuSE to Mandrake)and did not get the same
error.
"could not connect to localhost"

My SuSE box is more up to date than my Mandrake box (I have KDE 3.1.4 on
it, thanks to apt). What should I do on my Mandrake box to allow me to
get to it from my SuSE box?

> kio_fish is a plugin for konqueror whuch uses sftp (secure ftp) to transfer
> files between the machines. You can use it on any computer Linux/Unix or
> Windows which has an ssh server running.
>
> HTH
>
> derek
>
> BTW: Please delete the "Reply To" in your Evolution config. It is not
> necessary and a pain when replying to your posts.

What exactly do you mean here? Take out my reply-to address? Why would I
do that? I thought you were supposed to do that in Evolution when you
are using it to manage multiple accounts.

Thanks for your help,

-=Thinker