On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 09:16:00PM -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> >
> > SuSE uses RPM.  And RPM's are tons easier than tarballs.  :)
> >
> Yeah...I didn't realize that SuSE uses RPM as well. :-) Good to know.
> I was wondering why people keep getting referred to SuSE's web site
> to get apps. :-)

Part of the "go to SuSE" is because they've done some good work implementing
X servers that aren't yet available from XFree.  Dirk Hondel (I think I've
mis-remembered his name) heads the XFree86 project and is also associated
with SuSE in some fashion.

Red Hat _used_ to do some work in this area also.  Their series was called
XBF (X Binary Free, or something like that) and were binary-only servers
that they used as bargaining chips to get video card companies to allow them
to open the source.  Precision Insight worked at signing the NDAs and
creating the code then Red Hat put their brand on them.

You'll probably recognize the Precision Insight name as the guys that are
currently working on integrating OpenGL into the XFree 4.0 code base.  Not
sure how well that work is going, but I'd imagine that we've got to be
getting close to a 4.0 release soon.

--
Steve Philp
Network Administrator