On Tuesday 21 October 2003 01:47 pm, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 01:20 PM 10/21/03, Greg Meyer wrote:
> >On Tuesday 21 October 2003 12:54 pm, Grant wrote:
> > > I'll be traveling off and on for the foreseable future, and I don't
> > > want to bring a laptop.  What I'd like is some kind of a setup that
> > > allows me to connect to a remote machine that I've set up and use my
> > > apps through there from Internet cafes.  What do you guys think might
> > > work?
> > >
> > > Also, I'm a little paranoid of keystroke loggers in Internet cafes.  I
> > > was wondering if anyone has created any kind of an application to solve
> > > that problem.  Maybe an on-screen representation of a keyboard that
> > > allows you to save your "click-strokes" to the clipboard?
> > >
> > > - Grant
> >
> >Okay, here's what I do.  The machine I am connecting to, which is in my
> > home office, is set behind a firewall that is forwarding port 22 for ssh
> > connections.  Then I run vncserver with fluxbox as the window manager.  I
> > then carry in my briefcase, a mini cd that has a windows ssh client and
> > the windows and linux vncviewer.  I use PuTTy for the windows ssh client.
> >  It is free and very easy to use.
> >
> > From whatever computer I am at that has Internet access (Windows or
> > Linux), I
> >can set up an ssh session that forwards the vnc port to the local machine,
> >and then I use the vncviewer through the ssh tunnel to access my desktop.
> >
> >In fact, this is how I am typing this email right now.  When the rules say
> >you
> >cannot access personal e-mail at work, us Linux users have an advantage
> > ;-)
>
> Could you provide specifics about command options you use to establish this
> connection?

You just have to forward port 5901 through the ssh tunnel, which can be done
in the config gui of PuTTy or on the command line of linux.   I'll try to do
some detailed instrucitons later, but if you cannot wait this is well
documented on the web.  A quick google on vnc+ssh should give you some good
results.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx