$ tar cvzf archive_file.tgz archive_directory/

will tar and compress the contents of archive_directory/ into a file named archive_file.tgz.
v is not mandatory, but gives you the idea of the progress it's making.

On my PIII/733 it takes less than 15minutes to tar and gzip more than 600Mbyte of data.

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I want back up a directory to an archive for my upcoming big wipe for
9.2.

The directory is about 630MB, and I left it going for 4.5 hours creating
a tar.bz2, still wasn't done when I got up this AM.

Is it faster (but less compression) just to do tar.gz?

How long should it take?

I was using ROX Archive, which basically just calls the command line
arguments.

I read "man tar" but I can't for the life of me figure out what
arguments to use to create a tar.gz. Do I have to specify a destination
file or just:

tar -cz homestuff?