On Thursday 23 October 2003 10:16 am, Drew Martin wrote:
> Hello All,
>               Are RPM's back compatible?The reason I ask is cause at some
> point soon I will upgrading from 9.1 to 9.2.I wish to add Texstar's 9.1
> RPM's to my software sources,but will this really make a mess of my
> install? I do realise that there is no way I could use Texstar's kernel
> update's,but is there any reason I would not be able to install things like
> RP8 and Flash(plug-in ect) from his site?
>                                                        Drew
You may not have too much of a problem with 9.1 => 9.2 because binary
compatibility has been maintained, but as a general rule this is not a good
idea.  There are packages for flash, realplayer and all the proprietary
drivers from the Club Commercial download area, and most of the rest of the
stuff that Tex packaged is available from plf, things like liquid, the dvd
codecs for mplayer and xine, kde eyecandy, etc., .  As for KDE, the KDE 3.1.3
in Mandrake 9.2 is pretty darn close to 3.1.4 because Laurent backported so
many patches from cvs.  I don't think there is any real feature add between
mandrake KDE in 9.2 and KDE 3.1.4.  The real jump is going to come from 3.1.x
to 3.2 in the spring.

If you are really bent on using the old Tex packages, I would ask why do you
want to upgrade to 9.2.  Why don't you just stand pat on 9.1 and upgrade the
to the Texstar stuff?
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx