On Friday 24 October 2003 12:59 am, Michael Adams wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Trouble is Bryan, mainstream press quote these statements verbatim and
> do not quote anything to the contrary alongside it. They are not
> interested in doing any 'investigitive journalism' nowadays when they
> can cut and paste from press releases. Joe public get Microsofts version
> exactly as it gets peddled and dont even think to question it.

We know that journalists are bought by advertising dollars and we know which
software model has the money to buy them.  They are respected by the public
slightly more than politicians and slightly less than used-car salesmen.
This is not going to change, not now and not in the future.  Linux and
open-source are not going to win this battle in the media, they will have to
win it among people smart enough to know better than to listen to someone
bought and paid for acting as a shill for the buyer.

Personally, I am fairly happy to see the mainstream press falling into line to
bash open-source for the industry.  Nothing convinces me that we are on the
right side more than that.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer