On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:28:03 -0400
HaywireMac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5094279.html
>
> "Ballmer also disputed the notion that open-source code is more secure
> than Windows. "The data doesn't jibe with that. In the first 150 days
> after the release of Windows 2000, there were 17 critical
> vulnerabilities. For Windows Server 2003 there were four. For Red Hat
> (Linux) 6, they were five to ten times higher," he said."

Bob Cringely's response:

"This is nonsense. It is nonsense because Steve Ballmer, like Bill Gates
before him, confuses market success with technical merit. Microsoft's
product roadmap is a manifestation of a business plan, and what matters
in Redmond is the plan, not the map, which is in constant flux. How many
technical initiatives has Microsoft announced with fanfare and industry
partners, yet never delivered? Dozens. That is no roadmap.

If Microsoft developers rampantly fail to produce good software, but the
company exceeds earnings estimates anyway, how many of those rears will
be actually on the line? Very few, and maybe none at all.

What Ballmer ought to have said was, "It's true we have shipped some
really bad software in the past and we are ashamed of that, but we are
totally committed to improving." But he didn't say that. He said, "Our
model works pretty well."

Link:

HaywireMac ++ ICQ # 279518458
Registered Linux user #282046