Before upgrading I normally backup on CD-RW and use diff to verify the burning process. (diff is a command line program that compares two files or directories. I'm sure KDE or Gnome have graphical equivalents)

There are several graphical front ends to burn CDs: Gnome-toaster, Xcdroast, gcombust to name some. In my opinion, none of them is really easy to use compared to the Windows counterparts. I normally boot in windows to burn CDs :-[

I never thought of using web space, but I would not be so confortable of potentially sharing my data with the rest of the internet - even if it is a "private" web space.

I'm afraid enlarging a partition will destroy its contents.

Note that you should probably also backup /etc. There is an interesting article about updating here:
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/iupdate.html

raffaele

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I know that I should backup /home before installing 9.2, but what is the best way to do this?

I have a CD-RW drive, but have never used it except as CD-Rom! Would it be best to do backups on CD-R or CD-RW?

Alternatively, I have some private web space - can I just FTP a copy of /home temporarily into cyberspace and grab it back if disaster strikes?

I was told a while ago that my /home partition was too small. I assume this can be fixed when I install 9.2, but will the process of enlarging the /home partition destroy the contents?

Margot