Margot wrote:

Here it is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$ df
/dev/hda5              49G  2.2G   44G   5% /
/dev/hda6             8.1G  730M  7.4G   9% /home
[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]$

As you can see, I've got plenty of space at the moment, but it seems to me it would be more useful to have a larger /home.

Each to their own, but I would not have so much space devoted to one task. Much more convenient to measure out your hard drive into practicable spare partitions, with seperate mount points.Then you can use each spare partition for what ever task you like.
Personally I keep anything I'm creating on spare partitions in defined directories, so that stuff doesn't get touched at all when renewing an OS.
I leave my home directory as part of / base , the home directory config files don't amount to a whole lot of backup, to any device you favour, spare partition, zip drive,written to CD, or floppy, and by the way the config files will all fit on a floppy, why bother with anything else. By combining your home directory with / base you share the spare unused with the / base. If I had to have a / home partition , ok , suppose I have many users and to save time I will then decide to have a /home partition, but heck , it doesn't need to be that big, 1gig will do most things like temporarily caching up a CD in while writing it to disc. Going by the above figures you have something like 55+ gigs of Harddrive, why not chop it up into useful partition 5 to 6 gigs a piece , then one of those 5 gigs could have a 1 gig home partition if you feel the need, and say a 200mb /boot partition, which would still leave enough space to run the OS from the remainder.

Then if at any time in the future you feel the need to dual linux boot you can install the second OS in one of those spare partitions all by itself, the installer will put the boot files in the /boot partition for you and you will find that then they will be read by the lilo installer and you can write stanzas for each linux OS and windblows if you have it.

The only thing to say against such an arangement is that if you have multiple users then the spare partitions are open to all, but I am supposing that you are basically the only user of your computer, and that anyone else who may have access has you confidence. I think you can set up an fstab file for each user ? If so then you could set asside a partition for each user, that way they cannot look into private files on other partitions because the fstab will only allow access to the chosen mounted partitions. There is only me on mine so it is immaterial to me. Root of course can examine any.

All these things are personal, and the right way is the way that suits you, thank goodness linux allows all these ways. But to my mind devoting so much space to single tasks means that anytime you feel the need to change something you have a monumental rearrangement to effect. Splitting your drive up into spare partitions enables easier flexibility for the future. You can further split each partition, or amalgomate some together as you wish without having to redo everything all from the very beginning again.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]