10/24/03

Hello John,

What do you mean by cache-ing up audio files?  Do you mean you
want to play something on the hifi CD player and record it to
hard disk or audio tape?  Or do you just want to listen to it
through your computer sound card and computer speakers?

Dennis' suggestion of getting a left&right RCA into 1/8 mini
stereo cable will get the signal into your motherboard.

As long as you are running Line-Out from one device to Line-In of
another device, you can never hurt the hardware.  When running a
headphone Out or microphone IN/OUT to another device, it's always
best to have your Linux audio mixer running with the volume levels
down at first and then raise the volumes gradually, to make
certain you're not overloading the input device.

I don't have sound on the motherboard, but I would expect you
could open up your Linux audio mixer (ALSA mixer, Aumix,
whatever), turn up the Line-In volume slider, and listen to the
CDs played on the computer speakers (perhaps you have a surround
sound system on the computer.)

If you want to record the CDs, then you'll need a Linux program to
record the Line-Out from the motherboard.  The best link to sound
& midi software for Linux I've found so far is:

http://www.linux-sound.org/one-page.html

Keep us posted of your endeavors in sound.  ;)
The Other.