On Sunday 26 October 2003 09:01 am, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:40:45 -0300
>
> "Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > I have used this drive w/8.2, 9.0 and now 9.1, but I would like to
> > move up to 9.2 soon, so it looks like I will need a new drive.
> > Actually, I would like to get a CD-RW instead of a CR-ROM, so I
> > would greatly appreciate any feedback/recommendations for
> >  good, Linux (Mandrake) friendly options in the medium price
> > range.
> >
> >  TIA for your time and assistance.
>
> Well, my LG CDRW has never once failed me. It's a bit old, just a16x
> burner I bought almost 2 years ago. As has been pointed out, it's only
> the readers that are affected, not the writers. I certainly wouldn't
> hesitate to buy another LG, esp when the prices really start to come
> down on the DVD writers.

It's the LG CDROM's that have the problem, not the CDRW's and apparently there
is a firmware upgrade from LG that fixes the problem.  Also, expect a new
kernel in the next few days from Mandrake, although whether there will be an
updated iso image remains to be announced.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx