----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:23:20 -0500
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] LG CDROM...have one, need recommendation

> > "Angus Auld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > > I have used this drive w/8.2, 9.0 and now 9.1, but I would like to
> > > move up to 9.2 soon, so it looks like I will need a new drive.
> > > Actually, I would like to get a CD-RW instead of a CR-ROM, so I
> > > would greatly appreciate any feedback/recommendations for
> > >  good, Linux (Mandrake) friendly options in the medium price
> > > range.
> > >
> > >  TIA for your time and assistance.
> >Haywire spoke thusly:
> > Well, my LG CDRW has never once failed me. It's a bit old, just a16x
> > burner I bought almost 2 years ago. As has been pointed out, it's only
> > the readers that are affected, not the writers. I certainly wouldn't
> > hesitate to buy another LG, esp when the prices really start to come
> > down on the DVD writers.
>
> It's the LG CDROM's that have the problem, not the CDRW's and apparently there
> is a firmware upgrade from LG that fixes the problem.  Also, expect a new
> kernel in the next few days from Mandrake, although whether there will be an
> updated iso image remains to be announced.
> --
> /g
Thank you all for the useful feedback/recommendations. I will likely be
making an upgrade to a burner very soon, so I will just hang tight as to
what will be the status of my present LG CD-ROM concerning Mdk 9.2.
I can wait a while longer for 9.2, since 9.1 is working so darn well here
for me. I just love my Mandrake. ;-)
This list is really the clincher too. Thanks a lot ppl, your insight is
appreciated. Linux is.........LINUX! Is this fun, or what?

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Powered by Mandrake 9.1~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~

OperaMail free e-mail - http://www.operamail.com
OperaMail Premium - 28MB, POP3, more! US$29.99/year