S. Wieland wrote:
I think its best for me to get a book to help me with learning mandrake 9.1/linux in general. MI'm ccompletely new to linux and would say I'm an intermediate - advanced windows user. I'm bad with technical jargon like math books, so a nice easy guide would help me the best. Any suggestions? How is the 'The Definitive Guide to Using Mandrake Linux' i see on their store web site? I see that you can get the one with the included cd's or dvd. Anyone have experience with those?

I haven't read it, but I hear it's good. A standard reference book is "The Linux Bible", though I don't know if there is an up-to-date version - it's basically a compendium of HOWTOs. If you plan to use OpenOffice, "OpenOffice.org 1.0 Resource Kit" is excellent - it hits a nice medium between ultra-technical reference books and the kind of book that tells you how to use a mouse.

Later, when you get into command line stuff and the joys of scripting, you might want to get a good general book on the subject. "Unix Power Tools" is an oldie but a goodie - a massive compendium of shell scripts and commands.

Sir Robin

--
"I declare this sentence a performative!"

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533