Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 08:04 am, Tony S. Sykes wrote:

What is your hardware? If you have a nvidia geforce4 have you
installed the drivers?

Tony.

I don't believe that's the problem. I have a GeF4 and it works out of the box with the Xfree86 'nv' driver. No need to install any drivers. OTOH, there's no tellin what kind of bugs installin the proprietary nVidia driver can cause.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Richard Smith
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Tuesday, November
04, 2003 8:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Why do I have to start KDE manually?

M.A.Bell wrote:

mike wrote:

M.A.Bell wrote:

Greetings.
I've had this problem for a couple of months and had hoped that
installing 9.2 would fix it, but it didn't.
After I boot up, I see a terminal window on a blue screen.
When I enter "startkde", it does.
How can I get my system to do this automagically?

Mike,
I ran drakboot and, as I expected, the launch graphical... box
was already checked.
So that's not the problem.

So you get to the login window, and you select a user, give
password(if required) and then from the dropdown list select kde
and that should launch a kde desktop.Once kde has been selected
once it adopts it as default until you change it again.Possibly you
don't have kde available as an option in the dropdown list , and
that is your real problem ?

John

I had the problem quite a while ago that Mike describes. In my case it was a corrupted /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc file. Mike, if you want I can email you (send me a request off list) my kdmrc file. You won't be able to use it as is, other than to compare it to yours. You might also look in /usr/share/config/kdm/ and see if you don't already have a backup, probly with a rpm.new or rpm.save extension.

I tried just about everything I found different in your kdmrc, but nothing fixed the problem.
Now I get the login dialog and, regardless of which user and/or desktop I choose, after about 10 secs the dialog box sort of wiggles, and the password field is cleared. I.E. I can't login.