On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Yifan Yu wrote:

> Hi, when I tried to install Mandrake 6.1, it cannot detect any harddrive.
>
> I have a 27.3 GB Ultra ATA with ATA 66 controller card.
> Is this problem due to this type of HD being to new or something and is
> not supported yet?
>
> Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

 You need to tell the kernel the is a 3rd and 4th ide controller, because
the ide patches were not applyed they were causeing problems with cdrom
drives.

at the boot prompt enter
linux ide2=0xd800
or
linux ide2=0xa800

(sorry i thought these were generaly the same, but i've done some checking
looking for what i thought was the address for a chip other than the
HPT366, but it was the same card with several different addresses :/ )

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon