Well....I am finally on the net again with 9.2 Thanks to all those that
offered help. For those that are interested, this is how I did it.

After (another) clean install, I ran drakConnect to set up the
connection and restarted before attempting to connect.

after the restart, KPPP had not appeared there as it had for one other
user, so I installed it from the 9.2 disks. Then I restarted again.

This time KPPP had been installed correctly and it had not
simultaneously removed most of my other apps like it did last time.

Now I attempted to connect using KPPP.... failed again, the PPP daemon
died unexpectedly. When I viewed the error log it told me that the ISP
had spat out the username/password I knew I had them entered correctly
sa I tried changing a setting (the protocol?) in KPPP from PAP to
PAP/CHAP and now all is working fine. - this might be worth noting for
others trying to use ancient dial up accounts.

I don't know if all the restarts were necessary, but I'm still in the
windows mentality of "if in doubt - restart" when you make any changes
to program installations.

As for KPPP installing this time but not others, it seems that the order
I did things in made the difference this time. Last time I had not
configured my connection in drakConnect before attempting to install it
and it really screwed my computer up. I wouldn't have thought this
should have made any difference though.

Any thoughts??? perhaps this would be a handy addition to the Twiki -
but I'm still not certain WHY this worked this time so I don't want to
go adding notes that are full of bulls#%t

-Aidan