PC Chips is the top selling mobo where I live, so I've installed
Mandrake on more PC Chips boards than anything else. There are no
particular problems -- at least not with the ones I've done -- so don't
worry and just give it a go.

The only thing that didn't come on the Mandrake disks was the driver for
the winmodem that comes on the board. Many folks on this list will tell
you that you are better off buying a real modem, and I suppose they're
right, but I had no trouble following the instructions for my PCTel
onboard winmodem, which works better in Linux than it ever did in
Windows.

Mind you, I wish I had a decent motherboard and real hardware. But PC
Chips installs and works no worse in Linux than it does in Windows.

PC Chips puts their mobo model number in tiny print in one of the
corners of the board right next to a screw hole. You're looking for
something like M748LMRT, which is what the mobo I'm using now says.

The PC Chips website is <http://www.pcchips.com.tw/>. They have a page
for every mobo they've made, including the old discontinued stuff. The
page for my board, for example, is
<http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M748LMRT.html>, which I mention so that you
can simply change my model number for yours and go straight to your
board's page. There you will find a downloadable manual for your mobo
and the latest BIOS to flash if you're a risk taker.

In case your modem is a PCTel,
<http://www.medres.ch/~jstifter/linux/pctel.html> will help you get it
going in Linux.

I hate to say it but the best hardware detection tool I know is the
hardware manager in Windows. It's buried somewhere in My PC -
Properties, and can be printed for reference. It's the last thing I did
before wiping my Windows.

Hope this helps.
--
Warren Post, Registered Linux user 241394
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras