Steve Philp wrote:

> Arcana wrote:
> >
> >         This specifically deals with KDE.
> >
> >         I can't start it up.  Here are the messages:
> >
> > /**********
> > {all sorts of graphics card startup stuff}
> > (--) Mach64: Font cache: 0 fonts
> > _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
> > Fatal server error:
> > could not open default font 'fixed'
> >
> > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > giving up
> > xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> > xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error
> > /**********
> >
> >         Obviously, it has something to do with the fonts!  Maybe I'm missing
> > some?
>
> You're not missing any, it's just that the font server isn't running.
> You can start it with:
>
>         /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start
>
> and configure it to always start with:
>
>         chkconfig xfs on

        I type in /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start, and it says, "Starting X
Font
Server, OK", but when I type "startx", I still get the same error (as
root):

/**********
{all sorts of graphics card startup stuff}
(--) Mach64: Font cache: 0 fonts
_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error
/**********

        When I type "startx" as a regular user, I get the message:

"authentication failed
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): Unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

        On boot, it says that the X Font Server starts up okay.  Do you
have
any diagnosis?
--
/-|rcana