>>> This specifically deals with KDE. I can't start it up.
>>> Here are the messages:
>>> failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'

Thanks to the very person who got me *into* Linux, I have the answer
for you. Or, at least a "work-around". Personally, I would like to
know **WHY** this should even be necessary.

At shell prompt, edit the following files (each in turn) with your
favorite Unix-based editor:
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
/etc/X11/XF86Config

Look for the line that contains the following five (5) lines:
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

     FontPath   "unix/:-1"

And then insert a "#" before "FontPath" and Save/Exit the file.
You should end up with the following change:
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

#    FontPath   "unix/:-1"

That's all there is to it.