Hello,

I have not been able to find a simple step by step howto for
home networking. So far, I have absolutely no experience in
networking, or any IP address stuff.

Right now, I have a friend's computer at home and I would
like
1- to share the internet connection with my own computer's
adsl.
2- be able to do file transfer from one computer to the
other.

To start with, I am not sure I have all the required
hardware: I don't have a hub or (obviously) a dedicated
server.

My computer has two ethernet cards, one being connected to
my adsl modem.
My friend's computer also has an ethernet card.
What I did is connect my second ethernet card to the second
computer's card directly, with a cable running from one
card to the other. I am not sure that's the proper way to
do it... all the beautiful graphs I find on the internet
picture little box, whatever it's called, that sits between
the two computers. I don't have that and I don't know if it
is possible to connect the two computers the way I did.

Next, I tried to run the configuration wizard in MCC on both
computers, on mine to share the internet connection, and on
my friend computer to set a LAN connection, but so far no
good.

I am not sure what I am missing and I can't find a mandrake
specific step by step howto.

I created this page here:
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/HomeNetworking
You can write your reply directly there, so that other can
benefit from your answers, or to the list and I'll put
everything there afterwards.

thanks

Augustin

--
Linux. The Future is Open.

"If Linux were a person, he would be growing, fast. Taught
by the best. Gaining wisdom beyond his years. And sharing.
He would be in business, education, government and homes.
He would be a nine-year-old boy changing the world."

IBM about Linux
http://www-3.ibm.com/e-business/doc/content/lp/prodigy.html