On Thursday 13 Nov 2003 9:55 pm, Rutledge, Lincoln wrote:
> Howdie,
SNIP

> On a side note, of course I am used to using route and ifconfig to set up
> interfaces.  I have worked briefly from Red Hat and quite a while Mandrake
> on a laptop, so I remember some things about /etc/sysconfig.
>
> I discovered in search of documentation that man /etc/hosts will basically
> dump /etc/hosts to stdout.  Also man /path/file will dump file to stdout.
> Isn't this a really bad idea?
SNIP

> Sorry, I guess the question is is there any way to change the default
> behavior with a bash configuration alias or something?  I really do like
> this software and want to get familiar with it.
>
> No one cares but I was shocked when the install rewrote my mbr without
> prompting!  On x86 of course.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Lincoln

So it does. Gosh you learn something everyday.
I do not see the problem though because it will not work for any file for
which you do not have read permission.

If you think the read permissions should be more restrictive use a higher
security level or customise msec to enforce permissions.

If you are new to Mandrake you will not know about msec (Mandrake Secure), and
its GUI draksec.
Here is some info
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/msec.php
http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux/91/en/Starter.html/draksec.html