Somebody scribbled about Re: [newbie] Mplayer Plugin
>If you use the Opera browser you are able to choose which plugin handles
> a particular mime type.

Out of the box (yes I tried Opera) it may work better than some others,
but any browser should be able to self-identify the mime types. Are they
not standard?If not, then any browser should allow you to change the
mime type.

I didn't even know mplayerplugin existed. Anyway I did install it last
night. I don't get anything other than a nearly blank window when
selecting something from mozilla. I get one line saying that it is
started, but no output is forthcoming.

And for what it's worth, the "acid test" I am using for the moment is
at http://www.pbs.org/nova. Look for a link for streaming video of Nova
episodes. So far, nothing seems to start anything. The closest I've
gotten (irrespective of browsers, it seems, and in Opera too) is another
blank window. Actually, it seems that Realplayer is started, but no
connection is made. Play/stop/pause buttons don't produce any desired
effects.

I hate plugins and don't see the need for them. Why can't the browser just
open up a new process with the http:// or whatever that's needed to
identify the stream? Also, it's much more productive if the site gives us
that, then it's a simple "mplayer <url>" &. Once I have that, for
instance, I've taken for instance to making little startup buttons for
various radio stations on my desktop :).

Oh of course once in a while, I have to redo them as the servers get
changed. :(

Anyway, try that site and see if you get a Nova episode to display - then
let me know what your config looks like :). I have
mplayer/gmplayer/xine/realplayer 8 and even totem installed here (for
streamtuner).