On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:19:34 -0700
"Travis Crook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>       I'm looking at getting a RAID card to put in my box.  I'm
> running Mandrake 9.1 and wondered what would be the best card.
> Here is what I'm looking at so far:  Promise SuperTrak 100 or 66,
> 3WARE DiskSwitch AccelerATA 8 port UDMA100 EIDE RAID Card, or
> the Promise FastTrak 66 or 100.
>
>       What I would like to know is: which one is best supported
> under Linux (i.e. in kernel, with drivers, etc.)? which one is
> the easiest to install?  I would like to eventually do RAID level
> 5 but I will start with RAID 1 and go from there.
>
>       I have looked on Google to find support and on the respective
> Web sites but would like to know if anyone has specific experience.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Travis Crook
> Visions Beyond

This info from the archives. If it is out of date someone else will have
to advise you on that.

<quote 2001-12-08 9:53:14>
So few people know that the promise RAID controller is nothing more than
a BIOS extension chip with some proprietary, secret, copyrighted
software.

Look at the Duke of URL site.  He was taken in sufficiently by the
totally fake hardware to show how to write a driver from the proprietary
RH driver.

Or check www.linux-ide.org for a link to a project to support these so
called hardware RAIDs.

Or look at kernels after 2.4.8-31mdk and you will find support for
reading Windows RAID but happily no support for using the vastly
inferior software RAIDs in linux.

As a matter of fact there is a RAID in linux and it has been around for
a while, in software.

Feature         Promise, HPT, CMD       Linux Software RAID

RAID styles     0, 1, 0+1               0, 1, 4, 5, 0+1
Extents         1                       No limit
Volumes No                      Logical Volumes
                                        of several drives
Cost in space   Yes, drive destroked    Dependent on RAIDx
Compat with
Windows Yes                     No, but can read
                                        after kernel 2.4.9

Basically, some controller manufacturers and board manufacturers are
making money selling these RAIDs representing them as something they are
arguably _not_.  If you want a read hardware IDE RAID supported in ANY
OS that runs on a PC, its name is ARCO, and there is a link to it at
http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html

I am really displeased that so many folks are being taken in by this
hype.

If my opinion is not enough, then see what Mr. Linux-Ide, Andre Hedrick,
the fellow who slaves to keep up with industry drivers, had to say about
it.

http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=450&lang=en

Sorry to go on a rant, but this one really annoys me.  The manufacturers
are so jealous of their bogus IP that they won't provide enough info for
us to be compatible.

Civileme
</quote Civileme (whose word was once gospel on this list>

--
Michael