On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> >%_after I run windows the linux bootloader fails at the check root
> filesystem (internal inconsistencies).  if I reinstall linux it works
> fine until I run windows again.  any help appreciated :)

First, please stop posting in HTML.
Second:
Which version of Mandrake did you install? If you installed Mandrake
6.0, did you perform the kernel and initscripts upgrade? If not,
that's likely the problem. There is a known bug in the 6.0
distribution which will cause the hard drives to fail to cleanly
unmount. Updating the kernel and initscripts will take care of it.

Alternatively, you may have made that partition visible to windows,
which is NOT a good thing, by creating the partition with FDISK from
dos/windows. To fix this, you need to completely REMOVE the partition
using Windows FDISK and then reboot using the install CD or the boot
floppy for the installation. Then, use Linux FDISK or Disk Druid to
re-create the partition and install from there. One of those two
scenarios SHOULD work.
        John