> First, please stop posting in HTML.
> Second:
> Which version of Mandrake did you install? If you installed Mandrake
> 6.0, did you perform the kernel and initscripts upgrade? If not,
> that's likely the problem. There is a known bug in the 6.0
> distribution which will cause the hard drives to fail to cleanly
> unmount. Updating the kernel and initscripts will take care of it.

thanks, I got it working :)  but still, if linux doesn't cleanly
unmount on account of a crash or the like I can't get x windows
running again.  It must be possible to get it working without
reinstalling linux, running fsck doesn't seem to help (maybe I'm not
running it properly).  Do I need to unmount the root file system from
a floppy, and, if so, how exactly do I set this up?  thanks again