> Eric, I don't know how you are handling the bounces
> but maybe waiting a peroid of time (1-2 weeks) before
> unsubbing the addy might be a good idea.  I email from
> a Yahoo acocunt that has the potential to reach it's
> quota max in one day from the shear about of
> spam/viruses I receive.  I would think email starts
> bouncing after the quota is hit.  My only options
> presented by yahoo are to delete as often as they come
> in (not always possible) or create a new account.  So
> would there be any way to hold out on unsubbing?

Actually, this recent mass nuking wasn't done by me.

I was getting more bounces than i could handle, and asked Charles at
mandrake for an alternative.

He said i should just /dev/null all the bounces and he'd figure out
what to do.

We did this talking while the list was down (i think).  When the
list came back up, I checked the registry, and the number of people
on it had gone from 1100 to 295!

I emailed Charles to see if he did that, but haven't heard from him.
 I suspect that it was a sympa meltdown, but don't know for sure.

I posted some of this to the list earlier, but of course that
doesn't help the people that got nuked.

Anyway, i told charles i couldn't handle all the unsubbing, so i
will only be doing it for people when there is a request, or when i
see bounces going to the list (like the infamous sms in russia).

At the same time, please, everyone, do all you can to not fill up
your box.  When that happens, every post from any user results in a
bounce coming back to mandrake, and then going out to anyone on the
owner list.

I'll let you all know what happened whenever i find out.

Oh, and for posts like the one i am replying to, it's best to cc me
also, since i may miss the ones burried in a thread.

So, not to worry, my mass nuking days ore over!

eric

--
Mandrake HowTo's & More:          http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org