On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:41:25 -0800, Eric Huff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about Re: [expert] Sympa again ?     ** Eric ** ?:

>I don't know about on expert, but your address was bouncing mails to
>newbie a lot yesterday.
>
>                       The Postfix program
>
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: host mx3.xs4all.nl[194.109.6.48] said: 550
>5.1.1
>    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... User unknown
>
>I even sent you a mail asking about the address, but it didn't
>bounce.  Not sure if you got it?
>I thought it was you, but wondered if you had switched addresses or
>something...

Most curious. My ISP I`m not about to switch. It was commonly judged the
best in Holland, and my experiences are entirely positive. Never had any
complaints about bounces. And yes I did get your brief note about bounces,
but I was under the impression that it was broadcast to all subscribers and
that you were checking which bounced and which not, so I trusted you`d not
want to be deluged with positive answers. If I misread that and you *did*
expect an answer, I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

>I wonder how many servers screw up like that, since "User unknown"
>is obviously not true...
>
>I wasn't realy following the thread, but did you check the archives
>to see if the messages got thru to the list itself?
>I think maybe they got there, but didn't get to you?

I did check, but the archive was a day or two behind with its archiving
work, so that told me nothing.

In fact I sent them again via `forward` half a day later. Since then I have
been outside Mandrake and/or away from my box till now.

If you are convinced I should contact my ISP for malperformance I will, but
as somebody (James Sparenberg?) on one of the lists remarked, it is entirely
possible that a server in front of sympa which might be hickuping a little
and not have an outside line available would cause a bounce effect to be
recorded by sympa; or at least that was the way I understood his suggestion.

In any case I appreciate all your efforts and I`ll pay more attention to
your similar messages in the future (though I hope, naturally, that they
shalln`t be necessary).

Regards,
=Dick Gevers=