You're using an ISA PnP card? I have two ISA sound cards on the home PC, none of which was correctly set up by MDK, I had to do some manual work.

From what I understood the card is detected by the kernel at boot (you see a message in the syslog) but not configured or activated. To do this you need to install the isapnp tools. pnpdump scans your ISA bus and prints to stdout a possible configuration file for your card. You edit this file selecting the settings you need, then feed it to isapnp which configures and activates the card.

Now you can load the kernel drivers with insmod snd-cs4232. If you don't do the isapnp step, the insmod will fail.

You can check if it worked with cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat (or something like that), it should show the soundcard status.

I'm by no means an expert, so I cannot guarantee it will work for you like it did for me.

good luck,

raffaele