Raffaele,

I followed what you suggested and took a look at the generated .conf file and
it's documentation in isapnp.conf man page. Two cards showed up, one sound
and my modem.  Just when I was about to dig in and try to edit the .conf, I
noticed that the .conf identified my sound card as cs4236.  I never knew
exactly the designation of my card.  When my sound was working in the past, I
specified cs4232 using harddrake, since the MDK default cs42xx did not work.
This was just a guess on my part, and for some unknow reason, it woked.
Buthowever  this time no mater what I did 4232 would not work. Anyway I did
not have to run iaspnp. All I did was use harddrake to locate and set the
driver to cs4236B.  Just for kicks I rebooted and when the sound card was
initialized, my speckers barked (that never happened before).  So I thought
YAH it's going to work.  When I tried my CD player, however, it did not work.
But I remembered the aumix 'mute all' problem. So I ran aumix (which would
never run before), unchecked 'mute all', adjusted settings to midrange.  Now
I have sound!!!

Although I did not use isapnp, it did allow me to find the correct driver. So
thanks a lot for your suggestion.

mike