I don't think so because if I do a straight Linux install (no multiple
partitions) there are no errors. Of course, I always have the option of
forgoing LILO and using LOADLIN or a boot disk to boot Linux, but that
would be a hassle. Hmm ..

At 07:20 PM 10/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Just a suggestion...maybe the BIOS is set for ANTI-VIRUS (which will HALT when
>trying to write to MBR), that maybe be part of the trouble.
>Jaguar
>

>Slagathor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I continually get an error message when trying to install LILO to the MBR.
> > The error reads something like "An error has occurred while trying to
> > install LILO to the MBR". I have tried multiple combinations of
> > partitioning strategies with the same result. The most time consuming part
> > of this is having to complete an entire installation with each attempt.
> >
> > The hardware: 4GB SCSI drive
> >
> > I use the Linux FDISK to create the partitions. Although I should not be
> > burdened by the 1024th cylinder issue, I make it a habit of creating a
> > 100MB /boot partition as sda1. Here is an example of a typical partitioning
>
> > strategy that I use:
> >
> > sda1  /boot   Linux native    100MB
> > sda2  /dos    DOS             1000MB
> > sda3          Linux Swap      100MB
> > sda4  /       Linux native    2800MB
> >
> > I suspect that since I use a SCSI hard drive, I may have to provide some
> > arguments during the installation  section that asks for them, as well as
> > whether or not to use linear mode. I don't understand this section, nor can
>
> > I find any documentation regarding what it's for and how it works.
> >
> > Any tips?
> >
> > Thanks

"The three greatest things in life are to crush your enemies,
to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations
of their women." -Conan the Barbarian

-Slagathor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>