On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:42 pm, many eyes noted that Dooggie wrote:
> I am new to linux and I don't know how to use supermount.
> I am trying to convert from windows to linux, but very frustrating.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Dooggie
>
> On Wednesday 26 November 2003 08:25 pm, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 November 2003 4:44 pm, Dooggie wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I finally got Mandrake 9.0 to recognize the drive(I don't know how).
> > > What can I do to prevent it from not recognizing it again?
> > >
> > > Also, do I need to mount the drive so I can start using it?
> >
> > It all depends on whether you are using supermount or not. If you are
> > using supermount it will mount the drive when it is attached.
> >
> > Now, I also suggest that you learn to read the kernel messages in
> > /var/log/messages by using the command "tail -f /var/log/messages" at a
> > root command prompt. Now, disconnect the drive. You should see the USB
> > system let go of the drive. Now, reconnect the drive, you should see it
> > identify and grab the drive to use.
> >
> > The USB system for linux is not hard to use, so don't get freaked out.
> >
> > Rob

Doogie,
        You may have to disable supermount on your system, but then you will have to
mount your CD drive manually. I have to do that on both my systems. They run
with supermount but very slowly as does its thing. Others have no trouble. If
you find yourself joyless after a few more try's, maybe as root do:-
# supermount -i disable

But try a few more things first. there are many that say supermount works very
well.

Charlie.

--
And all the loveliest things that there be
Come simply, so it seems to me.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

This email is guaranteed to be wholly Linux Mandrake 9.1, Kmail v1.5 and
OpenOffice.org1.1.0